Andy Murray


Andy reaches Wimbledon Quarter Finals

Andy reaches Wimbledon Quarter Finals

Andy won 6-4 6-3 7-6 (8-6) in a match that ended under the Centre Court roof after a rain delay in the second set.

Andy has now won 17 consecutive matches at the All England Club, stretching back to London 2012. He remains on course to defend his Wimbledon title and match Fred Perry, the last Briton to do so in 1936.

The Brit saved a set point with a big serve in the third set tie-break as Anderson came out firing after the rain break, but he has barely put a foot wrong on his way into the last eight.

“When it was outdoors I played very well and was in a good position, but when we came indoors he was striking the ball better and serving better and I was dropping shorter, that meant there was a lot more running at the end because he was playing very well.”

Anderson, 28, posed an obvious threat on serve at 6ft 8in, and with 63 aces in his first three matches, but his greatest weapon played into Murray’s strength.

The South African was under pressure as early as the third game at 0-40, and when Murray managed to block back a 130mph serve on the third break point, it was no surprise that Anderson faltered in the rally that followed.

Murray saw out the set after 43 minutes, and the pressure on Anderson only increased at the start of the second set. After a couple of flashes of frustration, the Briton eventually converted his seventh chance of the opening game when Anderson steered a volley wide, and the threatening skies above Centre Court looked to be the world number 18′s best hope of disrupting the champion.

With spectators reaching for their umbrellas, Murray broke again to lead 3-0 before play was halted, and it proved crucial when the action resumed half an hour later. Anderson came out determined to make an impact on the Murray serve and did so immediately, reclaiming one of the breaks and then earning himself a point to level at 3-3. It had been an edgy 10 minutes for Murray since the resumption and he was in danger of being dragged into an unexpectedly close contest, but a bold second serve right onto the line averted the danger. Murray broke for a fourth time to move two sets clear and, while Anderson was a tougher proposition in the still, indoor conditions, he could not hold off the two-time Grand Slam champion.

Five more chances slipped by at 4-3 as Murray’s break-point conversion rate fell to four out of 19 for the match, and he saw off a set point in the tie-break to clinch victory with a heavy backhand into the corner.

Andy will now face Grigor Dimitrov in the quarter finals on Wednesday.